Friday 12 December 2014

Pre-tour reflections

Today is the first day of the December holidays and it's time to start thinking more about this exciting adventure that I am about to embark on. I've completed my four assignments which were a prerequisite to the study tour and they certainly were very valuable lectures, laying a strong foundation for what lies ahead. It was fun being a student again and doing some academic writing myself, rather than teaching how to do it and marking - I know, it sounds a bit lame, but it was quite confirming for me. You know one of those inane teacher comments - those who can do, and those who can't teach - so it's good to see that I still can research effectively myself.

I do think that this scholarship is going to be a gift that keeps on giving. Our first meeting at the Sydney Jewish Museum was a brilliant and heart-wrenching intro to what we can expect to be experiencing at Yad Vashem. Being privy to the curators and main education staff there was indeed a privilege and gave us a rare insight into what pedagogy lies behind the construction of the exhibits. We also very briefly met a 94 year old Holocaust survivor - he is indeed an inspiration. Meeting my fellow students was also valuable as we were able to connect and start building relationships; essential as we will be spending a great deal of time together and sharing such a unique experience.

Another fantastic opportunity arose out of my interview and that was an invitation to take my students to attend the Courage to Care exhibition at Logan Central library. This organisation has put together a very powerful experience through the dedication of volunteers, and it uses some of the amazing stories from survivors of the Holocaust to share the message that there are perpetrators, victims and bystanders, and that it takes courage to care enough for others to show acts of kindness, support and basic humanity in times of need, and we all need to make choices to reach out to others.  We were so privileged to listen to the very moving testimonies of Holocaust survivors and hear how much of a difference people could and did make in the midst of all the horrors. My students were so moved by this experience and found it very empowering. Lots of them committed themselves to being more courageous and empathetic in the future, and not to be bystanders. I realised that going to Yad Vashem was going to provide me with many challenges on an emotional level after that experience, and I'm sure it is going to be quite momentous and mind-blowing. For anyone who is interested in finding out more about Courage to Care (ordinary people, extraordinary acts) you can check out their website wwwcouragetocare.com.au

A week ago, one of the volunteers at the exhibition phoned me to say that her brother lives in Jerusalem, and when she told him about me going over there to study, he said that he would love to meet up with me and show me around. How fantastic to meet some locals and see how they live. I'm feeling very grateful for all of this 😄

So I will enjoy my couple of weeks of R & R at the beach before heading out to Dubai on 26th December, arrive in Jerusalem on 27th and our course starts on the 28th. I hope to use this blog to record my experiences and reflections, to share them with others if they are interested, and to make sure that I don't forget any of the details of this fabulous opportunity and trip of a lifetime.



I hope you enjoy my journey too 😍😍😍


4 comments:

  1. jacks, i will be reading every entry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to hearing all about it in January. I'm pretty sure the kids in Boonah are going to benefit from it as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Jackie. I look forward to following your journey! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you will have a great time. I look forward to reading!

    ReplyDelete